Fill-In Player Policy
Occasionally a team may be short in numbers on game day due to:
- Player injuries
- Players having other commitments on game day
- Low initial numbers to start with
The club needs to monitor the use of fill-in players to ensure:
- Diamond Valley Basketball Association’s (DVBA) by-laws are abided
- Fair and equitable play-time for core players on the team are met.
If a team is short of numbers and requires a fill-in player, the Team Manager must contact their assigned Boys or Girls Coordinator to organise. Coordinators will select a fill-in player that complies with DVBA by-laws and Thunder guidelines.
- A player must be a current registered Laurimar Thunder player
- A player can play in their Natural Age Group and one Age Group higher
- A player may only play in one team per Age Group per round, either as an Allocated Player or a Fill-in Player
- A player is not permitted to play up more than one Age Group from their Natural Age Group
- When a player is playing up an Age Group, they may play in Grades as follows:
- Their Designated Grade.
- A maximum of one Grade lower than their Designated Grade.
- Any Grade higher than their Designated Grade.
- A player may only play in one team per Age Group per round, either as an Allocated Player or a Fill-in Player.
- A player may only fill-in for a team in an Age Group they are an Allocated Player in Grades higher than the team they are an Allocated Player.
- A player shouldn’t take court time to the detriment of core players of the team
- A player shouldn’t play to the detriment of his or her regular team
- A player must make their regular team the priority over the team they may fill-in for.
Failure to abide by the Diamond Valley Basketball Association By-Laws will result in forfeiture of points and games and non-cover under DVBA insurance. If a fill-in player is required for finals the Team Manager must contact the relevant Boys or Girls Coordinator. The Club must comply with DVBA by-laws including player eligibility for finals. A request (including all relevant information) must be submitted to the DVBA Competitions Manager via the Committee requesting permission to play.